March is National Nutrition month, which comes on the heels of Eating Disorders Awareness week, Registered Dietitian Day, and International Women’s Day.
It is a month full of many important and critical things to recognize on our Anti-Diet Mission as a team to help our clients go from Chaos to Peace with Food and their Bodies.
Today, we are sharing some few updates about our practice and the team at Erica Leon Nutrition as well as letting you know how Anti-Diet Dietitians and Clinicians help our clients.
- In case you missed the news, we are now in network with two new insurance companies: Aetna and Cigna, along with Oxford. This means our services are now open to more people who have coverage under these insurance companies. You can learn more about this on our appointments page.
- Our team has grown in the past year; we now have 6 members at Erica Leon Nutrition; 5 Dietitians and one Intuitive Eating Counselor to help you in all areas of nutrition and recovery needs. We offer our clients a variety of specialty services with the team, from eating disorder recovery to sports and teen nutrition, along with nutrition counseling for medical conditions and nutrition for those in midlife menopause and beyond. We are licensed to see patients in: New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Florida, Iowa, Minnesota, Texas, and Wisconsin. You can learn more about our specialty services here and feel free to check out the team members here.
- We have space for new clients! With the growth of the practice, this also means we no longer have a waitlist for clients. We are here to help you when you are ready. Choosing the right person to work with is where we start based on your needs. The best way to find out if one of our team members is the person to help you with your specific needs, is to simply book a quick call with Erica and we can talk about your situation, needs and match you with the best person on our team to help you.
When looking to work with partners in your health, like us, knowing about our philosophy when it comes to nutrition is important.
This can be a vital factor in choosing someone to work with, so we want to ensure you understand how we work with clients.
We are Anti-Diet Dietitians and Clinicians.
This means we practice from a non-diet, weight-inclusive approach that individualizes your nutritional needs; We focus on your overall health and well-being with sustainable life and health-promoting behaviors, rather than just a number on the scale. We offer our clients a safe and non-judgmental space for healing, whether from an eating disorder, disordered eating, chronic dieting, or other health conditions.
The focus and approach we use is based on the
Principles of Intuitive Eating.
Intuitive eating helps people rid themselves of the diet mentality and food restrictions by learning to distinguish between physical and emotional feelings, trust their own inner wisdom, and, ultimately, make peace with food and discover true satisfaction in eating.
You can learn more about this and the principles in this article, What is Intuitive Eating?
- All bodies are worthy and deserving of care.
- All foods fit and can be part of a balanced eating pattern.
- Your relationship with food is as important (if not even more so) than the food you actually consume.
We want YOU to be able to distinguish between your reasons for eating – the “why,” “when,” “what,” “how,” and “how much” – as the first step in learning to eat mindfully versus restricting your food and restricting how you live your life.
As a team we strive to embrace these Core Values:
Honesty, Authenticity and Advocacy: Society encourages us to hide our struggles and put up barriers between ourselves and the rest of the world.
We stand up for what we believe and openly share our point of view.
We respect when others do the same. We want you to feel safe, and we want to meet you where you are. We believe that this is where healing starts.
As anti-diet clinicians, we are committed to dismantling oppressive systems and advocating for all individuals – especially those in marginalized bodies. We provide people of all ages, sizes, sexual orientations, genders, ethnicity, abilities, and socioeconomic levels with a whole-person, non-shaming approach to the mystery and miracle of living in a human body.
We would love to help you live a life at peace with food and your body.
If you or someone you know is looking to develop a develop a positive relationship with food and body image through a weight-inclusive, individualized approach, please reach out to me and let’s talk.
Erica Leon is a Registered Dietitian and practices from a Health at Every Size (HAES®) lens. She is certified as an eating disorder specialist and is passionate about helping women at midlife, menopause and beyond to make peace with food and body image.
Erica is a highly sensitive nutrition therapist who takes the time to learn where you or your family are in the pursuit of health. Respectful of your individual needs and lifestyle, she will provide an honest assessment of whether or not you are a good fit to work together. Click here to schedule a 15-minute Discovery Call with Erica to let us know about your needs, and to see which of our Dietitians is the best fit for you!
Download our Free Intuitive Eating Guide and get off that Diet Roller Coaster for good!