It’s Pumpkin Season! Here’s a quick and easy recipe using canned pumpkin, a great source of concentrated nutrients.
Some of the nutrients in canned pumpkin include: Vitamins A, E, K, C, B6, and Riboflavin, and the minerals Copper, Iron, Magnesium, and Potassium.
It’s also high in fiber! These are all important in maintaining our immune system as well as eye, heart, gut and skin health!
This is a creamy pumpkin soup from the Libby’s canned pumpkin recipe website (with some modifications.) It can be made vegetarian OR vegan.
Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Soup Recipe:
Preparation: 10 min
Cook: 25 min
This is a creamy pumpkin soup from the Libby’s canned pumpkin recipe website (with some modifications.) It can be vegetarian or vegan. Pumpkin is a rich source of beta-carotene (plant form of Vitamin A) which is good for your eyesight, immune health and more.
- ¼ stick of butter (Make it vegan: use ¼ stick Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped (or ¼ tsp garlic powder)
- 2 tsp. packed brown sugar
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 can (15 oz) Libby 100% pure pumpkin (NOT pie mix)
- 1 can (12 oz) Evaporated milk (Make it vegan: use 1 can Light coconut milk)
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon clove
- ¼ cup pepitas (green pumpkin seeds) or roasted, salted pumpkin seeds
- Melt butter or margarine in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic and sugar; cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until soft.
- Add broth, water, salt and pepper; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Stir in pumpkin, evaporated (or coconut) milk and the cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Top with pepitas or pumpkin seeds. Enjoy it as a snack or to make a complete meal, add a protein-rich sandwich or salad!
You can find other delicious recipes here.
Are you ready to move forward on your Recovery Journey with more food freedom?
Click here to purchase your Recipes for Recovery Cookbook now!
Following the Recipes for Recovery Cookbook will help you:
- Reconnect with positive eating experiences you had before the eating disorder
- Explore new flavors, colors, textures and aromas that connect your senses
- Experiment with previously forbidden foods that bring awareness to the present moment
- Challenge and let go of food restrictions and rigid rules to rekindle a healthy and fulfilling pattern of eating
- See success as you continue to discover food freedom
Erica Leon is a Registered Dietitian and practices from a Health at Every Size (HAES®) lens. She is certified as an eating disorder specialist and is passionate about helping women at midlife, menopause and beyond to make peace with food and body image.
Erica is a highly sensitive nutrition therapist who takes the time to learn where you or your family are in the pursuit of health. Respectful of your individual needs and lifestyle, she will provide an honest assessment of whether or not you are a good fit to work together. Click here to schedule a 15-minute Discovery Call with Erica to let us know about your needs, and to see which of our Dietitians is the best fit for you!
Download our Free Intuitive Eating Guide and get off that Diet Roller Coaster for good!