Here are some different gift ideas for the non-dieter in your life!
If you have grown tired of hearing about fad diets and finally recognize (or are starting to recognize) that diets don’t work for the long term, consider giving thoughtful, body positive gifts.
These gifts will support your loved one’s authentic health in the new year. I have curated a list of gift ideas that will be sure to make your special person feel supported and loved in making peace with food and their bodies.
So many things are different now as we celebrate the END of 2021. Two long years dealing with a pandemic. Connection with family and friends has become more important than ever. The pandemic has also highlighted the enormous disparities in our country with privilege and power, and highlighted the oppression of black, brown and indigenous people. Communities of color have been disproportionately impacted by COVID — illness, death, job loss and lack of government assistance.
What does this mean to me? Now more than ever I want to highlight the importance of being intentional around our purchase power; Instead of shopping from big corporations this year, let’s put money into the pockets of small business owners – especially those with marginalized identities — by finding some of your gifts in this Guide. Let’s support diverse business owners.
Body Positive Gift Ideas for the Anti-Dieter
Gift Your Loved One With Some Self-Care from Diverse Business Owners
- Private Cooking Lesson with my colleague, Karen Ricks, of Our Kitchen Classroom.
- She Matters Subscription box by Boxed in: A self-care monthly membership!
- All Black Everything Tea Gift Set: Sipping tea is a lovely form of self-care!
- Element Medicinals Herbal Inhaler: Keep this with you for when someone tries your patience, you feel tired, have a headache, or have anxiety. Take three deep inhales and come back into your body. Ships within 5 business days.
- Self-Discovery Deck & Journal: Unique deck & journal daily practice providing 60 questions to help you discover your true desires. Drop ships on December 20th.
- Soap and Moisturizing Botanical Bar: Vegan, cruelty free, and palm oil free. Our signature cactus soaps have a high concentration of plant butters that are perfect for dry or sensitive skin. Ships within 7-10 business days.
- Self Care Queen Bundle: Sneak away to your bathroom and be prepared to indulge your senses with this Self-Care Queen Candle and Aura Cleansing Bath Soak.
Books to Encourage Body Kindness
To send a message about size acceptance and the non-diet approach, I highly recommend the following books:
- Health at Every Size by Lindo Bacon. You will learn the theory behind why diets don’t work! and
- Radical Belonging: How to Survive and Thrive in an Unjust World (While Transforming it for the Better)
- Intuitive Eating Book and Intuitive Eating Workbook by Tribole and Resch. These are the seminal books writ about the non-diet approach to living a healthy life.
- Body Kindness by Rebecca Scritchfield. Learn to heal your body from the inside out.
- The Body is Not an Apology: The Power of Radical Self-Love and The Body is Not an Apology Workbook by Sonya Renee Taylor. In one reader’s words: “This book has helped open my eyes to body shaming that is all around us, and most importantly what we do to ourselves on a daily basis. It has changed how I think and interact with my own body and others’. A must read!”
- Anti-Diet: Reclaim Your Time, Money, Well-Being, and Happiness Through Intuitive Eating by Christy Harrison, host of the podcast Food Psych, is available for pre-order.
- Eat to Love, an intuitive and mindful eating book with a Buddhist approach, by Jenna Hollenstein, MS, RD
- The Diet-Free Revolution by Alexis Conason. Reframing dieting and diet “failure” as pervasive aspects of our culture–not individual failures–The Diet-Free Revolution offers a roadmap to healing, self-acceptance, and radical new ways of relating to and loving our bodies.
- More Than a Body: Your Body Is an Instrument, Not an Ornament by Lexie and Lindsay Kite.
- Unapologetic Eating: Make Peace with Food and Transform Your Life by Alissa Rumsey.
Help Them to Become Body Positive and Recover from Dieting or Disordered Eating
- Intuitive Eating Essentials for Midlife, Menopause and Beyond: This is a self-paced program that transforms you or your loved one’s relationship with food and body, particularly at midlife!
- Weighted Blanket: The ultimate stress reliever to wrap you in comfort if you are anxious and struggle with insomnia.
- One-of-a-Kind Body Positive pillows or hangings with YOUR favorite affirmation. Mine is “Take up Space.”
- “No Wrong Way to Have a Body”: An embroidered pillow is a beautiful way to say, “I love you just as you are!”
- Voluptuart: Find body positive art, clothes & more on this beautiful site.
- Nalgona Positivity Pride F*** Diet Culture T-shirt
- Alex and Ani Healing Takes Love Charm Bangle, which supports the National Eating Disorders Association.
- Kathryn Hack Body Liberation Art: Shop for unique fat positive art.
- The Body Positivity Card Deck: 53 Strategies for Body Acceptance, Appreciation and Respect Cards: You can feel better about your body, and move from body shame to body positivity! With these simple practices, reflections, and inspirations you’ll learn to find appreciation for your body.
- The Recovery Box: A wonderful resource for anyone in recovery.
Clothe Your Special Someone with Some Personal Styling
- Stitch-Fix: This is a personal styling service for everyone — No matter your age, size or budget!
- Dia and Company: Personal styling for the larger bodied woman.
- Chubstr: Personal styling for the larger-bodied guy.
- Thredup: This is the first online consignment thrift shop for your child, teen or adult woman in every size.
Food that Nourishes the Body and Soul
- Hickory Farms Gift Basket: Filled with delicious snacks and gives back to end childhood hunger.
- Harry and David Fruit of the Month Club: Premium fruit and gourmet delights, delivered monthly.
Instill Some Body Positivity and Celebrate Every Body for Young Girls through Adolescents
- Celebrate your Body by Sonya ReneTaylor
- Free to be Be Me: Self Love for All Bodies Book by Leslie Williams, MD
- The Intuitive Eating Workbook for Teens by Elyse Resch
- Her Body Can by Katie Crenshaw
Have a happy holiday season and remember that learning to let go of diets and embrace your body’s natural shape is a gift.
This is a gift that just keeps giving, and can help your loved one:
- Feel more comfortable around food and with their bodies.
- Silence the critics who tell them they are not “good enough” just as they are.
- Practice patience, not perfection.
- Truly enjoy food.
- Trust their bodies to learn to stop eating when satisfied.
Are you ready to move forward on your Recovery Journey with more food freedom?
Click here to purchase your Recipes for Recovery Cookbook now!
Following the Recipes for Recovery Cookbook will help you:
- Reconnect with positive eating experiences you had before the eating disorder
- Explore new flavors, colors, textures and aromas that connect your senses
- Experiment with previously forbidden foods that bring awareness to the present moment
- Challenge and let go of food restrictions and rigid rules to rekindle a healthy and fulfilling pattern of eating
- See success as you continue to discover food freedom
Erica Leon is a Registered Dietitian and practices from a Health at Every Size (HAES®) lens. She is certified as an eating disorder specialist and is passionate about helping women at midlife, menopause and beyond to make peace with food and body image.
Erica is a highly sensitive nutrition therapist who takes the time to learn where you or your family are in the pursuit of health. Respectful of your individual needs and lifestyle, she will provide an honest assessment of whether or not you are a good fit to work together. Click here to schedule a 15-minute Discovery Call with Erica to let us know about your needs, and to see which of our Dietitians is the best fit for you!
Download our Free Intuitive Eating Guide and get off that Diet Roller Coaster for good!