Chocolate Chip Pecan Scones Recipe
Makes 8 large scones
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold (1 stick)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup heavy cream + 1 tbsp for brushing
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips*
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans*
- **Or substitute 1 cup inclusions such as chocolate chips, chopped nuts, dried fruit, berries, etc. for any flavor scone!
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Take the stick of butter and cut into tiny cubes. Add to the flour and combine using your fingers rubbing the butter into the flour to create pea-sized crumbs. This mixture will look shaggy and uneven, but you will know it is ready when all the butter is combined with the flour mixture.
- Combine the 1/2 cup heavy cream and the egg together with a fork or a whisk and add on top of the flour mixture. Add the chocolate chips and pecans on top of this and mix together the entire dough until everything is combined. If the mixture seems too dry, try adding a little bit of heavy cream. If too wet, add some flour.
- Dust a counter or a large cutting board lightly with flour and turn out the dough. Press the dough into a flat disc shape about ¾ inch high and 8 in across. Plastic wrap this disc for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Take the scones out of the refrigerator and cut evenly into 8 wedges. Place evenly on the pan making sure to leave space between each one. Brush the tops of the scones with the last tbsp of heavy cream.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges of the scones are golden brown and the tops are lightly golden.