Here are some different gift ideas for the non-dieter in your life!
As we say goodbye to Thanksgiving, we are now heading into the time of year when diet culture literally invades our homes. If you have grown tired of hearing about fad diets and finally recognize (or are starting to recognize) that diets don’t work for the long term, consider giving thoughtful, body positive gifts.
These gifts will support your loved one’s authentic health in the new year. I have created a list of 30 gift ideas that will be sure to make your special person feel supported and loved in making peace with food and their bodies.
Gift Ideas for the Anti-Dieter
Here are different gift ideas for the non-dieter in your life!
Books to Encourage Body Kindness:
- To send a message about size acceptance and the non-diet approach, I highly recommend Health at Every Size by Linda Bacon. You will learn the theory behind why diets don’t work!
- Intuitive Eating Book and Intuitive Eating Workbook by Tribole and Resch. These are the seminal books written about the non-diet approach to living a healthy life.
- Body Kindness by Rebecca Scritchfield. Learn to heal your body from the inside out.
- The Body is Not an Apology: The Power of Radical Self-Love by Sonya Renee Taylor. In one reader’s words: “This book has helped open my eyes to body shaming that is all around us, and most importantly what we do to ourselves on a daily basis. It has changed how I think and interact with my own body and others’. A must read!”
- Anti-Diet: Reclaim Your Time, Money, Well-Being, and Happiness Through Intuitive Eating by Christy Harrison, host of the podcast Food Psych, is available for pre-order.
- Eat to Love, an intuitive and mindful eating book with a Buddhist approach, by Jenna Hollenstein, MS, RD.
Gift Your Loved One With Some Self-Care:
- Intuitive Eating Essentials for Midlife, Menopause and Beyond: This is a self-paced program that explores your relationship with food, your dieting history, readiness to integrate intuitive eating into your life, and teaches you how to use your values to make peace with food.
- Yoga classes for all sizes: Curvy Yoga Online Classes or Gaia Streaming Yoga Online Classes.
- Weighted Blanket: The ultimate stress reliever to wrap you in comfort if you are anxious and struggle with insomnia.
- Aromatherapy lavender-infused putty: Great for stress relief, this putty can be stretched, rolled or fidgeted.
- Lavender products for all: Pelindaba Lavender is a premier grower of lavender plants grown in Washington State.
- Gratitude Journal: Gratitude has been shown to help you experience positive emotions, feel more alive and sleep better!
Help Them to Become Body Positive and Recover from Dieting or Disordered Eating:
- One-of-a-Kind Body Positive pillows or wall hangings with YOUR favorite affirmation. Mine is “Take up Space.”
- “No Wrong Way to Have a Body”: An embroidered pillow is a beautiful way to say, “I love you just as you are!”
- Love the Skin That You’re in: Limited edition signed print from Watercolours by Rachel.
- Voluptuart: Find body positive art, clothes & more on this beautiful site.
- Nalgona Positivity Pride Etsy Shop: Body Positive poster.
- Rise with Radiance 2020 Calendar: Whimsical Drawings and Positive Affirmations by Susan Schrott
- Alex and Ani Healing Takes Love Charm Bangle, which supports the National Eating Disorders Association.
- Kathryn Hack Body Liberation Art: Shop for unique fat positive art.
- The Body Love Box: A monthly subscription to all things body positive.
- The Recovery Box : A wonderful resource for anyone in recovery.
Clothe Your Special Someone with Some Personal Styling:
- Stitch-Fix: This is a personal styling service for everyone — No matter your age, size or budget!
- Dia and Company: Personal styling for the larger-bodied woman.
- Chubstr: Personal styling for the larger-bodied guy.
- Thredup: This is the first online consignment thrift shop for your child, teen or adult woman in every size.
Food that Nourishes the Body and Soul:
- Hickory Farms Gift basket: Filled with delicious snacks and gives back to end childhood hunger.
- Harry and David Fruit of the Month Club: Premium fruit and gourmet delights, delivered monthly.
Instill some body positivity and celebrate Every Body for young girls through adolescents:
- 25 Body Image Positive Books: Great selection to choose from.
- Celebrate your Body by Sonya Renee Taylor.
- The Intuitive Eating Workbook for Teens by Elyse Resch
Have a happy holiday season and remember that learning to let go of diets and embrace your body’s natural shape is a gift. This is a gift that just keeps giving, and can help your loved one:
- Feel more comfortable around food and with their bodies.
- Silence the critics who tell them they are not “good enough” just as they are.
- Practice patience, not perfection.
- Truly enjoy food.
- Trust their bodies to learn to stop eating when satisfied
You can click all the links above to find the items mentioned. To learn more about the Intuitive Eating Essentials Program, or to inquire about individual sessions, click here.