Yes! Gentle nutrition is a goal of intuitive eating, and having the foods you enjoy at hand gives you a better chance of finding variety and satisfaction!
I have been thinking a lot about how I prepare meals in my home and lately it’s been lacking. I notice that when I don’t have the food(s) that I really like – foods that are nourishing as well as satisfying – I do not eat as well as I would like. I literally had a realization the other day that I have not been having as many fruits and vegetables as I usually do.
Planning is Everything
By planning, I am referring to “loose” meal planning. I am going to describe how I meal plan for me and my husband, now that we are empty nesters.
Shopping for Groceries
Although this is usually the final step for many, for me, lately, it is actually the first step! I have a core staple of meals (that includes breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks) that I “usually eat.” I am fortunate that I am able to have my groceries delivered and I do this now because it saves me time and time is money in my book!
- I have my groceries delivered either from Peapod, Fresh Direct, or Amazon Prime. I simply love the idea of shopping for my groceries online. I used to enjoy going to the supermarket and touching all the produce and examining food labels but now I see that it is a time saver to order online.
- Another reason I love shopping online is that I find it saves me time and money by keeping a record of my previous shopping lists.
Keeping my pantries stocked with sales items and dry goods that I can use anytime I like
- Oatmeal and other cereals
- Other grains like couscous/quinoa
- Bread crumbs
- Canned and/or dried beans like kidney beans and lentils
- Canned vegetables (depending on sale)
- Sauces: Pasta sauce, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce
- Nut butters
- Canned tuna
- Some type of sweet item: cookies or chocolate
- Flour/sugar/other baking items
- Fruits/vegetables (some are cut up for ease and time-savings)
- Sliced turkey
- Turkey, salmon and beef burger
- Chicken breasts and thighs
- Pork chops
- Fish and shrimp
- Frozen meal (just for those times!)
- Frozen vegetables and/or fruits
Planning, and having these items on hand makes it easier for me to truly decide what I feel like eating when I prepare meals. I might decide to prepare a cooked meal for dinner, and have leftovers for lunch the next day. Or I might get home late from work and decide to have an omelet. Neither way is better than the other. Flexibility is an important aspect of learning to become an intuitive eater.
If you would like even more support you can learn on your own, my Nutritional Guidance Program offers you all sorts of added training videos and lessons to give you even more support for your journey from disordered eating to intuitive eating. The fee for this program is only $19 and has 7 modules filled with lots of lessons to help you make peace with food.
Don’t get trapped in the diet culture world. You can start to feel freer around food and appreciate your body for all that it does, regardless of its size or shape. Learn about health at every size and start today. You CAN change your life!
Erica Leon is a Registered Dietitian and practices from a Health at Every Size (HAES®) lens. She and her team of eating disorder specialists and Anti-Diet Dietitians provide insurance-based care for eating disorders, disordered eating, chronic dieting, or other health conditions in a safe and non-judgmental space for healing.
We work virtually with our clients from our offices in Westchester County in New York as well as the tri-state areas of New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut, along with Florida, California, Wisconsin, Iowa, Texas, and Vermont. We are in-network with the following insurance companies: Aetna, Cigna, and United Healthcare; including Oxford, UMR, and The Empire Plan (NYSHIP).
We take the time to learn where you or your family are in the pursuit of health. Respectful of your individual needs and lifestyle, Erica will provide an honest assessment of whether or not you are a good fit to work together. Click here to schedule a 15-minute Discovery Call with Erica to let us know about your needs, and to see which of our Dietitians is the best fit for you!