I have never been a big fan of Valentine’s Day. I spent most of my 20’s searching for love, always feeling empty when I had no one to share V-Day with!
To me, it’s still an artificial holiday made up by Hallmark to sell chocolate candy, flowers and cards. I mean, everyday should be Valentines’ day.
As an older and (slightly) wiser human, I have realized the importance of self-love. We are worthy of care and attention. No-one is going to take better care of me than…ME!
These are my five favorite self-love activities:
- Get rest. I love to nap in the middle of the day when I can. It feels like a rebellious act of self-care!
- Choose to be active or not. Some days I am burning to move my body, other days, not so much. Choosing is not laziness – but self-love.
- Wear clothing that makes you feel fabulous — if you don’t have any – buy one item!
- We spend so much of our day on the computer, iPhone, and iPad. Make a conscious choice to take one hour — or two hours — and get completely free of social media, news and other stimulation. Spend the time talking to a friend, having tea, coloring, listening to music, playing with a pet or doing NOTHING at all without judgement!
- Pick a sense and use it — buy yourself flowers and SMELL THEM. Use lavender hand cream and FEEL it on your skin, COZY up and wrap yourself in a blanket in front of a WARM fireplace, BURN a candle. LISTEN to music, READ a book, TASTE your food by eating slowly and mindfully.
What do you do as an act of self-love?
To learn more about self-care, join my Private FaceBook Community: Eat, Live, Nourish Intuitive Eating Support
Erica Leon is a Registered Dietitian and practices from a Health at Every Size (HAES®) lens. She is certified as an eating disorder specialist and is passionate about helping women at midlife, menopause and beyond to make peace with food and body image.
Erica is a highly sensitive nutrition therapist who takes the time to learn where you or your family are in the pursuit of health. Respectful of your individual needs and lifestyle, she will provide an honest assessment of whether or not you are a good fit to work together. Click here to schedule a 15-minute Discovery Call with Erica to let us know about your needs, and to see which of our Dietitians is the best fit for you!
Download our Free Intuitive Eating Guide and get off that Diet Roller Coaster for good!