Hi. I am Erica Leon, Westchester Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and Eating Disorder Specialist.
Based in Westchester County, New York, I also offer tele-nutrition to reach clients all over the globe. If you or someone in your family struggles with an eating disorder or are tired of fad diets, this dietitian will "meet you where you are" and guide you to a better relationship with food and your body. I also provide medical nutrition therapy for PCOS and IBS.
My 25-year nutrition dietitian career has included working in hospitals, corporations and colleges. Ultimately, combining all of my skills and interests, I established a private nutrition practice in Westchester County, New York over 15 years ago. I hold a bachelor’s degree in nutrition from Cornell University and a master’s degree in clinical nutrition from New York University.
Credentialed by The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, I have a specialty certification from the International Association of Eating Disorders Professionals (IAEDP) as a Certified Eating Disorders Registered Dietitian. I volunteer on the Board of IAEDP’s New York Chapter. Having written professional articles on nutrition, I also speak frequently and am quoted in the media on topics such as eating disorder prevention and childhood weight issues.
INTUITIVE EATING & EATING DISORDER RECOVERY
My work is guided by the non-diet approach to health referred to as “Intuitive Eating.” Instead of following strict diet rules, I help people learn to be the experts at meeting their needs and discovering their natural, internal signals of hunger and fullness. This is a process -- especially for someone struggling with an eating disorder.
Learning to distinguish between all the reasons we eat – the “why”, “when”, “what”, “how and “how much” – is the first step in learning to eat mindfully. Therefore, I empower my clients to take the necessary steps to achieve optimal nutritional health and wellness.
HEALTH AT EVERY SIZE & SELF-CARE
I believe our bodies are a gift and we can be healthy at any size.
The “Health at Every Size” philosophy promotes self-care — learning to eat according to hunger and fullness cues as well as satisfaction, choosing physical activities that are pleasurable, managing our levels of stress, and getting enough sleep. With better self-care, our bodies are more likely to stabilize at their own natural healthy weight.
Research consistently shows that trying to control or manage weight (through caloric restriction or dieting), may work in the short term but more often results in rebound weight gain. Our bodies can undermine efforts at weight control because the body is enormously successful at regulating its weight. It’s not something we need to “work at”—in fact, this “control” approach ends up being counterproductive.
WORK WITH ME
I am a highly sensitive nutrition therapist who takes the time to learn where you or your family are in the pursuit of health. Respectful of your individual needs and lifestyle, I will provide an honest assessment of whether or not we’re a good fit. I pride myself on being down to earth, relatable, and a practitioner who understands my client’s struggles, having dealt with my own personal health issues over the years.
If you’re ready to feel free around food without obsession or worry, want to manage your weight in a realistic and sustainable manner, need to manage a health condition requiring nutrition therapy, or have any questions or concerns about you or your family’s nutritional health, I’d love to talk to you.
Erica Leon, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
and Eating Disorder Specialist
My philosophy is one of balance. I truly believe that all foods fit."
- B.S. Cornell University, Nutrition
- M.S. New York University, Nutrition
- Certified Dietitian Nutritionist, New York State
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Certified Eating Disorders Registered Dietitian, International Association of Eating Disorders Professionals (IAEDP)
- Certified Intuitive Eating Counselor
- Chair of Ardsley School District Wellness Committee, 2007 - 2011
- Jenkins Award Recipient, For Contributions to the Youth of Ardsley
- Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics:
- Sports & Cardiovascular Practice Group
- Behavioral Health Nutrition Eating Disorder Subgroup
- Nutrition Entrepreneurs Practice Group
- Academy of Eating Disorders (AED)
- Binge Eating Disorder Association (BEDA)
- International Association of Eating Disorders Professionals (IAEDP)
- IAEDP New York Chapter, Hospitality Co-Chair / Gala Chair
- International Federation of Eating Disorder Dietitians (IFEDD)
- Intuitive Eating Professionals
- Westchester Rockland Dietetic Association